Russell S. Witte, PhD
Professor Medical Imaging
University of Arizona
The Body Electric + Microwave Radiation, April 24, 2020
Russell S. Witte, PhD graduated with Honors in Physics from the University of Arizona (1993) and Bioengineering from Arizona State University (PhD, 2002), where he studied sensory coding and learning-induced plasticity in the mammalian brain using microelectrode arrays. Following a 5-year postdoc experience in the Biomedical Ultrasound Imaging Lab at the University of Michigan, he returned to his hometown Tucson, joining the faculty in the Dept. of Radiology at the University of Arizona in 2007. His current research team develops cutting-edge “hybrid” imaging modalities that integrate light, ultrasound, electricity, and microwaves to address grand challenges in biology, medicine and engineering. The ultimate goal is to improve patient care by providing tools that enhance diagnostic accuracy and treatment-decision making compared to current state-of-the art. Dr. Witte is a member of prestigious scientific organizations, such as IEEE, SPIE, BMES, has over 200 publications, 10 patents, and is Founder/CSO of ElectroSonix LLC, a local spinoff company that was recently awarded an NIH SBIR Phase 1 to commercialize acoustoelectric imaging technology for cardiac applications.
Sample of References
- Witte RS, C Karunakaran, AN Zuniga, H Schmitz, H Arif. “Frontiers of cancer imaging and guided therapy using ultrasound, light, and microwaves.” Clinical & Experimental Metastasis, (Aug 2018).
- Qin Y, Li Q, CP Ingram, RS Witte. “Ultrasound current source density imaging of the cardiac activation wave using a clinical cardiac catheter.” IEEE Trans on BME, 62(1): 241-7 (2015).
- Preston C, W Kasoff, RS Witte. “Mapping current patterns generated by a clinical deep brain stimulator using acoustoelectric imaging.” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology 2018. 44(11): 2345–57 (2018).
- Bauer D, X Wang, J Vollin, H Xin, RS Witte. “Spectroscopic thermoacoustic imaging of water and fat composition.” Applied Physics Letters 101, 033705 (2012).
- Shi Y, RS Witte, SM Milas, JH Neiss, XC Chen, CA Cain, M O’Donnell. “Microwave-induced thermal imaging of tissue dielectric properties.” Ultrasonic Imaging 25:109-121 (2003).
- Wang X, T Qin, Y Qin, RS Witte, H. Xin (2017). “Microwave-Induced Thermoacoustic Communications. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques.” 65(9): 3369-78 (2017). Wang X, T Qin, Y Qin, AH Abdelrahman, RS Witte, H Xin. Microwave-Induced Thermoacoustic Imaging for Embedded Explosives Detection in High-Water Content.” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 67 (7): 4803 – 4810 (2019).